Re: Mockingbird Behavior, signs of spring

I've had the same thing the last several weeks. A mockingbird (or two) has
been hanging out around my suet feeder (filled with Terres's Miracle Meal
peanut butter mix). It has been keeping most other birds away when on guard.
Normally, I don't get mockingbirds in the back yard, which is quite woodsy.
Perhaps the local ornamental hollies, Pyracanthus, etc. are exhausted of
fruit? (None on my property, Josh, but I can't be responsible for my
neighbors.) It is odd that I have never seen this behavior of the local
mockers, despite having kept the same feeder configuration for probably four
years.

Have been a few avian and other signs of spring here in Durham: Cardinals
and Carolina Wrens are singing up a storm. Pine warblers are singing now and
then as well. I saw a Brown-headed Nuthatch apparently excavating a cavity
in a willow tree over a small pond here in the Parkwood neighborhood,
southern Durham County. Chorus frogs are singing a lot right now--I first
noticed them on February 4 in Northern Durham County.

Patrick Coin
Durham, NC
patrick@coinconsult.net

New Hope Audubon web--latest conservation and event information (or links to
it if it is not on there)...
http://www.newhopeaudubon.org/
We'll be having a trip to Penny's Bend for early wildflowers, etc. on
Sunday, March 2. See the web site for details.