pond report

It was a miserable day for riding but I went to the pond anyway.  My first
bird was a pileated wp flying through the trees, lots of flocks fo sparrows
in the woods which I believe were white throated.  One red tailed hawk flew
over one of the fields.  Tons more sparrows and on the way back I found
that at least one flock was field.  The pond itself was interesting in that
not too many speacies but all were very excitable including the Canada
geese.  I ahd a coupt of mallard pairs and a small group of Hooded
mergansers who along with the geese flew off easily.  Usually the geese
just honk at me and stay on the little island but all but one pair flew
off.  Also had a Great Blue Heron.  Cardinals were singing.  An aside,
something I have never seen was dead mink on the pasture trail with no
obvious signs of trauma.  I thought mink were at the top of the predator
list but I must be mistaken as something did it in.  It must have been cute
but it had alot of white sharp teeth.  If anyone knows about mink please
respond off list as I would be interested to learn more.  Pond in NW Orange
co (lots of ice damage).  Barb brooks hillsborough, nc

--- Barbara Brooks
--- brooksba@mindspring.com
   Hillsborough, NC