Sharp-tail Questions and more signs of spring

I hesitate to bring this question to carolinabirds as some of you may start
wondering what we?ve been smoking up here in the mountains, but here goes.
Quite a few people have now seen the Sharp-tailed Sparrow in the field next to
VanWingerden?s in Henderson County, NC and naturally questions arise.  No one
doubts that it is a Sharp-tailed Sparrow, but some are leaning towards Salt
Marsh rather than Nelson?s.  One of the most compelling reasons is the quite
distinct streaking on the breast and sides.  I personally agree that the
streaking is more consistent with the description of Salt Marsh than Nelson?s
and I think most people who have seen the bird would probably agree with that.
 The other i.d. questions seem to be more in the eyes of the beholder.
Anyway, I wonder if anyone has really studied the Nelson?s on its breeding
range and is aware of the variations in this characteristic?  It seems even
less likely for a Salt Marsh to show up here than a Nelson?s, but one should
never rule anything out.  I welcome any opinions on the subject.  Personally,
I still lean towards Nelson's for a variety of reasons, but I'm open to others
observations and opinions.

On another subject, just like clockwork, it?s March and the Fox Sparrows are
under the feeder.  I also heard tons of frogs (Spring Peepers, Chorus, and
Leopard) this morning in the various flooded fields and meadows in the area
that I explored.  Also scared up quite a few Snipe, about 35 or so altogether.
 The flocks of blackbirds and Grackles continue to grow.  Spring marches on.
Ducks sure have been fewer in number than usual though.
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute
University of North Carolina-Asheville