A walk along the carolina bays pkwy

Got up early this a.m. and started walking along the path on the east side of
the new Carolina Bay Pkwy.  What a treat.

After I climbed up over the berm, I realized I could have accessed the other
side of the berm a lot easier had I entered from the parking lot of E.J.
Edwards.  Next time I'll know.

Anyhow  I was immediately treated to a half dozen bluebirds bathing in a
puddle left over from yesterday's rain.  Along with the bathing bluebirds
were bathing chipping sparrows.  After they had flown to their respective
branches to dry off, I watched a brown thrasher, for the first time in my
life, give himself a good bath in this puddle.  I have never seen the
thrashers in my bird baths.

A walk further east twds the power sub-station provided me with my second
look at a pair of pileateds and they were as low on the trunk as I had ever
seen.  Last time I had seen a pair they were so far up the trunk it was a
battle with the sun to get a good look.

It was very quiet in this section and before long I was treated to the call
of a red-tailed  hawk.  Again, he decided to perch in a tree not far from
where I was sitting.  My good fortune was just astounding today :)  There
were loads of grackles as I went to the other side of the sub-station and was
suprised to see so much kinglet activity.  I had thought they were gone as I
had not seen any for a few weeks.

The gnats were becoming intolerable and I had to work my way back as I was
overdressed. Again, came upon more bathing bluebirds.  I'm telling you after
a long winter there is nothing nicer than seeing all that blue.  A very good
day and I felt as though the birds were happy to oblige me today.

K C Foggin
Myrtle Beach.