Re: vacation!

Hi Marcie,

It's wonderful that you will get to spend a few days in the South Carolina
Low Country. Here are a few birding suggestions, along with coordinates from
the South Carolina DeLorme Atlas. My suggestions sort of work outward from
Frogmore (a.k.a. St. Helena Island).

1. Hunting Island State Park (p. 63, A-10). You can't go wrong here. Beach,
maritime forest, salt marsh, inlets. This is very near to Frogmore and will
probably be your best bet. On the way out to the park stop off for a few
minutes at the boat ramp on Butch's Island, on your right along US 21 (p.
59, H-10).

2. Port Royal Boardwalk Park.This spot is next to the state docks, at the
tip of Port Royal. (Good seafood in the area as well). Page 63, A-8.

3. Pigeon Point. This is a boat ramp on the Beaufort River just north of
downtown Beaufort. (p. 59, H-8). The nearby Beaufort National Cemetary might
have a few migrant and wintering passerines.

4. Broad River Estruary. This is a great salt marsh and estuary spot, where
you can find sharp-tailed (both species) and Seaside Sparrows without
getting your feet wet. It is where SC 170 crosses the Broad River (p. 63,
A-7).

5. Sheldon Church ruins and nearby wetlands. (p. 59, E-7), From Gardens
Corners go left on US 17 (southward), but immediately turn right on Road
21), Good passerine birding around the ruins. Then continue north on Road 21
a very short distance to first left. This leads to an interesting
impoundment (Shelpon Church Pond)., easily visible from the road's shoulder.

6. Donnelley Wildlife Management Area. (main entrance is off of US 17 just
northeast of the intersection with SC 303, page 59, C-9). Great woods,
swamps,  impoundments, brackish marsh. Some of the best birding in the
state, but overshadowed by nearby Bear Island WMA. Not open on Sundays.
Closes at 5:00 PM.

7. Bear Island Wildlife Management Area. Entrance is along the Bennetts
Point Road, Road 26, page 59, E-10). This just might be the best birding
spot in South Carolina. Closed on Sundays. Woods, marshes, impoundments.
Wonderful! Do not miss Bear Island!

8. West Bank Landing. This boat landing on the Edisto River has a deck where
you can sit and watch the birds go by. Possible Swallow-tailed Kites. Turn
south from US 17 in Jacksonboro (p. 59, C-10).

9. Jacksonboro Nature Trail. Off US 17 just before the bridge over the
Edisto River. (Page 60, B-1).

10. Black Creek Road (Road 28, page 59, B-6). Take US 21 north from Exit 42
of I-95. This road goes through a bit of longleaf pine savanna. Great for
piney woods birds, including Bachman's Sparrow. Red-cockaded Woodpecker is
possible, but hard to find. Do not leave the road shoulder. Private
property.

11. Buckfield Reserve. Lage White Ibis rookery along Road 17 near
McPhersonville. Bird from the road shoulder. Page 58, D-5.

In addition to these spots you might want to check out other spots farther
afield, such as ACE Basin National Wildlife Refuge, Savannah National
Wildlife Refuge or Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge, or any of the
many great spots in the Charleston area.  Good luck.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com
803-782-8820