Re: scope vs binoculars

Most astronomers and the better target shooters keep both eyes open when using
monocular optics. I've done it instinctively for as long as I can remember and
using a spotting scope for birds is no different.

Getting back to large binoculars vs. scopes, there has been a good bit of
discussion on various forums about the value of binocular vision vs. monocular
vision. Amatuer astronomers who've tried very large binoculars and/or
binoviewers on their telescopes often report seeing more detail and more subtle
coloration with binocular views even when compared to slightly higher
magnification monocular views.  I've proven to my own satisfaction that I see
enough more detail using binoculars over monoculars to compensate for some
increase in magnification and objective size. For instance, a really top grade
set of 12x50 binoculars (such as Nikon SE) can pretty easily compete with most
15x60 spotting scopes. Likewise, the better 15-16x70 binoculars (such as
Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70) binoculars can fairly easily show as much or more detail
as most 20x70 spotting scopes. But keep in mind, the binocular vision ability
to discern more is fairly limited by small increases in magnification when
comparing binos to scopes. A 16x70 binocular or 20x80 binocular won't compete
with a good 70-80mm scope at 30-60x.

The real problem with big binoculars is that they're heavy and require a mount.
Realistically, anything above about 12x50 should be mounted. For some folks
that threshold is much lower and ALL binoculars will show better views when
mounted. By the time one factors in a good tripod, and suitable head or mount,
large binoculars can actually get considerably more cumbersome to use in the
field for pursuits such as birding. The other problem with most large
binoculars, is that until fairly recently, binoculars were limited to one,
fairly low power. Whereas spotting scopes can often handle much higher power.
This has recently begun to change somewhat with more and more really large
binoculars beginning to accept standard telescope eyepieces. However, really
large binoculars like that are VERY expensive. They can easily cost as much or
more than a similar aperature spotting scope, and they are frequently
*extremely* heavy and not at all practical to drag into the field.

Recently, their have been several Asian imports that seek to address many of
these issues such as cost and weight and they keep getting better all the time.
I've used Pentax PCF V 16x60, Fujinon FMT 16x70 (VERY heavy) and Oberwerk 15x70
binoculars in the field for birding. NONE really replace a good spotting scope
in my opinion, but all are capable of giving really good views of the night
sky. So, for me, the role of the large binocular is mainly for backyard
astronomy and fixed position viewing. However, having said that, I'll also say
that I typically take to the field with the max apperature and magnification
binocular that I can comfortably carry and handhold. For me, that works out to
12x50, but many folks would be better served with a good light set of 10x50s.

Regards from an optics junkie,
Mike Swaim
Orange Co. NC
miaim@mebtel.net