RE: Singing Blue-headed Vireo

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Turner
To: Carolinabirds
Sent: 3/10/03 7:43 PM
Subject: Singing Blue-headed Vireo and some shorebirds

Had my first singing Blue-headed Vireo of the year today, Monday 3/10,
while birding along the elevated boardwalk at Congaree Swamp NM.

Mike Turner
Columbia, SC

This is perhaps a good illustration of why I loathe this particular common
name change. In northwest NC, it is always the first neotrop that I hear
singing and there are usually no others around. Why on earth must
morphological characters be used to the exclusion of others this day and
age?. For me, it will always be the Solitary Vireo.

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC