more odd and scary birding

Marilyn's story of her colloquy with the hunters reminded me of an
encounter I once had on Hooper Lane in Henderson County.  I was birding the
hedges along the road, happily minding my own business, and I noticed a man
walking far up on the hills where Hooper meets Jeffress Road.  Being
curious, I raised my binoculars and looked at him.  Just as I did that, I
noticed that he had raised a high-power rifle and was intently studying me
through its scope.  I think it was the first time in my life I had known I
had such a weapon pointed directly at me.  I slowly lowered my field
glasses, walked deliberately to my auto, and drove to Jackson Park, so as
to bird in apparently less dangerous conditions..

Now, I'm sure that he was just looking, that he had no intention actually
to fire on me.  But what was philosophically interesting to me then (and
now) is the way my body and its reactions simply bypassed my intellect.  No
matter what I knew, or thought I knew, my body reacted with fear: I can
still vividly remember what it felt like in the pit of my stomach to
realize that in a second I might be shot dead.  In the midst of life we are
in death.

Not only is birding sometimes a dangerous hobby; sometimes it's even an
enlightening one.

Jim Edwards
jim.edwards@furman.edu