Cowbirds

Carolinabirders-
  Sorry. This is a post about common species, but its all i see nowadays
since i am tied to my computer finishing my thesis. I read the postings
about the t-billed murre and others and it makes me very jealous.
  Anyhow, last night i sat out and watched our feeders for an hour or
so. Was rewarded with a BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH, the first to visit us. It
came in with the two white-breasted nuthatches that are regulars. And
then, everything got scared off as a flock of 50-60 BROWN-HEADED
COWBIRDS came down and camped out over the backyard! I was disappointed,
but interested. I didnt realize that they flew around in such big flocks
(herds?). Made we realize that all those flocks of black birds are i see
flying over all the time arent just blackbirds or grackles (though i am
not sure there are big flocks of those either!).

Dave Hewitt
Raleigh, NC
--
Dave Hewitt