Re: Birds and native trees

Last spring our river birch was completely covered in goldfinches and pine siskins. They were feasting on the catkins (and showering the ground with leftovers.) Our birch was planted about ten years ago and now stands at about 20ft plus. We had some problems with Japanese beetles when it was young, but it is fairly maintence free now.

Leah

p.s. Our "volunteer" redbuds are just beginning to blush now in the SC piedmont -- unlike those planted in yards, which have already passed their peak. Are ones sold for landscaping genetically altered to bloom earlier?

Leah Campbell
Cornwell, SC
faeriemaiden@hotmail.com

"In order to see birds, it is necessary to become a part of the silence." Robert Lynd