another Horry Cty hummer...

hi y'all,

this afternoon while assessing the winter's damage to my hummer-plant
collection, i got buzzed by an ad. male Ruby-throated, the earliest one has
been observed to show up here. he checked out the Coral Honeysuckle and
disappeared on a NE heading.

Chippies, White-throateds and Juncos continue to avail themselves of the
millet. while on my knees under the Abelia hedge, face to face with a
Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a few minutes later, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.
cool...

nice flock of Tree swallows with a Purple Martin in their midst. small flock
of waxwings that waited patiently for me to get a safe distance away from
the birdbath. Am. robins duking it out, and a pair of mockers doing the
Mockingbird two-step.

cowbirds...bummer.

bloody battle (literally!) between two anoles, while another 20 ft away
enjoyed a termite hatch. i'd rather eat than fight, too.

other flying things were cruising thru the yard, too: Forester moth, Tiger
Swallowtail, Falcate Orangetip, Sleepy Orange, Cloudless Sulphur, Polygonia
sp., and an apparent female Horace's Duskywing. also a little skipper that
got away. no Azures in my neighborhood, but they're common in Georgetown
Cty. hmmm...wonder what's up with that?

;-)

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)