Sunday at Ft. Macon

All,

I couldn't make the journey to see the Allen's on Saturday, so Sunday I carried my family to Bogue Banks. At Ft. Macon two razorbills actively fed in the vicinity of the jetties for more than two hours while I tried (with limited success) to get a good picture of them and to (again, with limited success) catch a false albacore (#@** boaters!). An even dozen purple sandpipers repeatedly visited the jetty; I was successful in getting a decent pic of one of them.

Other birds seen from there and from the Bogue Banks piers included common and red-throated loons, another razorbill feeding off the SSS pier, many bonaparts gulls, several flocks of black scoters, an early barn swallow at the inlet, and, most remarkably, a single American avocet flying about 75 yards off the beach near the jetties, headed west.

I also saw an injured juvenile loggerhead turtle off the end of the Bogue Inlet pier at the west end of the island. It was missing its left rear limb and a chunk of its shell, and had a thick mat of algae growing on its carapace. it didn't look happy or healthy.

Take care,

Clyde Sorenson