Horned Grebe near Greenville, NC

My husband Nick spotted a horned grebe close to our waterfront on Lake
Glenwood, 5 miles east of Greenville (off NC33), about noon today.  The
grebe was diving and swimming close to the bank, seemingly unafraid of
people.  It turned around about 20 feet from where we were watching and went
along the bank in the opposite direction.  At 1:30 it was back, feeding
about 30 feet from where we sat watching it.  At one point the grebe swam
between a pair of tame mallards who were almost side by side.  Both ducks
pecked at it.  It jumped a little but didn't dive.  It was very interesting
to watch that encounter.  When I went back in the house, the grebe was
preening itself not far from someone working on their bank.

Veronica

Dr. Veronica S. Pantelidis (Ph. D.) Distinguished Professor
pantelidisv@mail.ecu.edu , Co-director, Virtual Reality &
Education Laboratory  <http://www.coe.ecu.edu/vr/vrel.htm>
http://www.coe.ecu.edu/vr/vrel.htm
Program Coordinator: Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership,
Library Science Concentration; Graduate Certificates: Virtual Reality;
Tele-Learning.  Department of Librarianship, Educational Technology,
& Distance Instruction  <http://www.coe.ecu.edu/LTDI/>
http://www.coe.ecu.edu/LTDI/ College of Education,
East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858 USA Phone 252-328-4157 Fax
252-328-4368