Jordan Lake birds

Randy Emmitt and I did some birding at Jordan Lake this morning (4/19/03)
on our way down to Raven Rock State Park.  It was cold and windy, but we
saw some nice stuff:

New Hope Creek impoundment* on NC 54:
Snowy Egret - 1
Great Egret - 1
both are rare here in the spring

Farrington Road bridge:
Common Loon - 40 in 2 flocks
this is the highest local count for the spring that I know of.
Bonaparte's Gull - 7
Common Tern - 1

plus hundreds of Tree Swallows and some Barns.  Didn't see any Cliffs.

* for some bizarre reason, the US Army Corps signs call this the "New
Hope River impoundment" even though it's on New Hope Creek.  Another
impoundment they've misspelled is "Knapp of Reeds" near Falls Lake - if
they'd bothered to check the dictionary they would have seen there's only
one p in 'knap'.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu