Appropriate Tripod/Other Stuff

I have used an older Gitzo (a 220 Studex) for about 15 years, coupled
with an Arca Swiss ballhead and quick release. This combination is
rather heavy, especially with a large telephoto lens/camera but the
equipment has performed very well. Graphite tripod legs are very light
by comparison but as Dr. Mike Skakuj has wisely pointed out, the
downside is brittleness (cold should make it worse) and reduced stabilty
because of weight reduction. I watched a photographer take a fall on
South Georgia Island, break the leg of a new and pricey graphite Gitzo
tripod and he spent the next TWO WEEKS watching the rest of us get great
shots of several penguin species, etc. I would urge the thoughtful
tripod purchaser to seriously consider looking at reasonbly beefy
metal-legged tripods (E-Bay is a great source if you don't need a quick
fix) and a  quick release ball head whether for conventional
photography, digital photography or spotting scope use.

As I have no experience in "digiscoping", I would refer those interested
to contact Will Cook for comments on digital camera choices. His results
have consistantly been very impressive.

Wayne Irvin
145 Riding Lane
Southern Pines, NC  28387