White-rumped Sandpipers, Purple Galinules

While participating in a Birdathon, sponsored by a friend of Beidler Forest,
on Wed., April 30,I saw 4 White-rumped Sandpipers at the Donnelley WMA in
Colleton Co.,SC.  Dr. Chris Marsh had confirmed seeing 5 the day before in
the same pond.  I also saw 2 Purple Gallinules.  If interested, I would
suggest calling Dean Harrigal, the refuge manager, to find out it they are
still there.
I noticed an absence of sparrows everywhere we went.  Has anyone else
noticed this?
Getting close-up looks at brilliant Painted Buntings always excites me. I'm
reminded of the quote that Gary Phillips has at the end of his postings:
"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)

Ann Shahid
Charleston, SC