Congaree Swamp National Monument, 5.1.03

Late this afternoon I birded Congaree Swamp from about 6 to 7:30. Here's what I saw: Broad-winged Hawk (actually, it was nearer to town), Mourning Dove, Chimney Swift, Ruby-throated Hummer, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Pileated Woodpecker, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Acadian Flycatcher, Great-crested Flycatcher, Crow sp., Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Eastern Bluebird (again, nearby), Gray Catbird, White-eyed Vireo, Blue-headed Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Northern Parula, Yellow-throated Warbler, Pine Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, Kentucky Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Summer Tanager, No. Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Chipping Sparrow, and American Goldfinch.

I was disappointed, however, not to get any of the Catharus thrushes (usually I can count on Wood and Veery in the spring) or Swainson's Warbler. And I was about carried away by mosquitoes; I've never seen as many in Congaree Swamp as I have this spring.

Peace,

Bob Ellis
Columbia, SC
ellis29205@aol.com