loons, hummingbirds, and winged migration

Howdy!

Since I adore loons, I find it interesting that many are being seen this
summer. Why this year, and what does it mean???

I'm jealous when others talk about the need to fill up their feeders
because they have so many hummingbirds. Now that it's July, we're
finally starting to see at least two coming to our feeder.

I don't think the visiting House Wren has found a mate this summer,
since he is continually singing his song throughout the day.

Monday Lena posted a press release about "Winged Migration," which will
premiere tonight at the Madstone Theatre in Cary, NC. Wanted to let you
know the time for the start of the movie has been changed from 7 pm to
7:25 pm. John Gerwin will lead a question and answer session after the
movie. You'll find the press release below, with the correct time. Hope
to see some of the local birders there tonight!

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net
Raleigh, NC

Subject: "Winged Migration" Premiere to Feature NC Museum Bird Expert
Q&A

  (Cary) Madstone Theaters will open Winged Migration on Friday,
July 18 with a special program featuring NC Museum of Natural Science
bird curator, John Gerwin.

Winged Migration was one of the 5 final Oscar
nominations for best documentary in 2002.

Filmmaker Jacques Perrin and his team of
cinematographers spent three years following birds in flight on all
seven continents. Through this, they reveal nature's splendid winged
species and their journeys, with a moving and original instrumental
score as backdrop. The film cleverly draws viewers in as we become
mesmerized by winged travel, realizing the many obstacles birds face in
their routine for survival. And over and over wondering, "How DID they
get that shot?" Winged Migration presents a world of flight with
staggering beauty, capturing the essence of nature's glory and movement.

Madstone will complement the 7:25 screening on Friday,
July 18, with a Q&A hosted by John Gerwin. A 15 year veteran of the
museum, John is currently working on breeding bird distributions across
North Carolina and breeding bird communities within national forests and
managed timber areas in both North and South Carolina. He has recently
begun an in-depth study of the migratory behavior, which is currently
unknown, of the Yellow-bellied sapsucker which nests in the NC
mountains.  John also oversees the museum's bird specimens and bird
exhibits.

Movie begins at 7:25 with Q&A immediately following.
Regular movie ticket prices apply- no additional charge for the Q&A:

For more info visit www.madstonetheaters.com
http://www.madstonetheaters.com or call 919.468.7232