Congaree Swamp at dusk

Hi C-Birders,

I went over to Congaree Swamp National Monument (Richland County, SC) after
work yesterday to try out a new microphone (Rode NT4). I stayed until about
9 PM and was treated to a nice frog chorus, including pinewoods tree-frog
and barking treefrog. (This was in pine savanna habitat at the end of
Garrick Road).

I was surprised that I did not hear any Chuck-wills-widows or
Whip-poor-wills. I did hear a number of good birds, including Northern
Bobwhites (they are not extirpated just yet), Barred Owl, and Eastern
Screech-Owl. The most interesting bird (seen) was a flyover American
Woodcock. This species is present in the park year round, but we don't
notice it much in the summer. Could that be due to not going out much at
dusk, with all the mosquitos, heat, and high humidity? I am a sumertime
birding whimp, I must confess. If you make the effort to go out you will
find stuff.

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com