Huntington Beach Birding

I birded for a bit this afternoon at Huntington Beach State Park in
Georgetown County, South Carolina.  I specifically checked the causeway area
and the jetty.  A good variety of wading birds, terns, and shorebirds were
seen.

The first Red Knots and Piping Plovers that I had seen in several months
were found at the jetty area.  Twenty-two Spotted Sandpipers were seen there
as well in a 20 sq. ft. area and an additional twenty-four birds were seen
close by at the same time in smaller groups of 4 to 9 birds.  It seemed a
bit unusual to me to have such a large number of Spotteds in one location.
The re-nourished area at the western end of the jetty has become a really
nice spot for shorebirds.

The tide was extremely high on the saltmarsh side as I was leaving the park
at around 5:00.  While I saw no birds on that side at all, the freshwater
side was surrounded by waders.  In all, 83 Wood Storks were counted in that
location.

The complete list is as follows....

Brown Pelican (6)
Anhinga (2)