Huntington Beach Birding

Hey Carolina Birders,

Did my part today for the North American Migration Count.  My area basically
included the Nature Center area and everything to the north of it at
Huntington Beach State Park in Georgetown County, SC.  I checked the jetty
area twice... once from 9:00 to 10:00 am (low tide) and again from 3:00 to
4:00 pm (high tide).  I only took the best count on the birds that were
found in this area.  As usual, the birds at high tide greatly outnumbered
those found at low tide in the jetty area.  The only exception to this was
that more Sandwich Terns were seen at low tide than high.  The vast majority
of birds were seen at the extreme western end of the jetty just after high
tide.  A total of sixty-eight species were located and included the
following...

Pied-billed Grebe (2). (One bird was just behind the breakers.  Don't know
that I've ever seen a PBGB in the ocean.)
Brown Pelican (87)
Double-crested Cormorant (2)
Great Blue Heron (5)
Great Egret (8)
Snowy Egret (5)
Little Blue Heron (2)
Tricolored Heron (7)
Green Heron (1)
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (4)
White Ibis (26)
Wood Stork (16). (Had my highest count ever of 105 at 6:50 this morning
along the causeway.  But since that was not in my section, I guess I'll have
to let someone else include them on their count.)
Blue-winged Teal (3)
Northern Shoveler (1)
Osprey (9)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (1)
Clapper Rail (9)
Common Moorhen (8)
Black-bellied Plover (43)
Semipalmated Plover (269)
Piping Plover (7)
American Oystercatcher (42)
Greater Yellowlegs (15)
Lesser Yellowlegs (16)
Willet (14)
Spotted Sandpiper (4)
Ruddy Turnstone (37)
Red Knot (57)
Sanderling (43)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (53)
Western Sandpiper (74)
Least Sandpiper (92)
Short-billed Dowitcher (219)
Laughing Gull (28)
Ring-billed Gull (6)
Herring Gull (6)
Great Black-backed Gull (1)
Caspian Tern (72)
Royal Tern (417)
Sandwich Tern (151)
Common Tern (2)
Forster's Tern (16)
Black Skimmer (129)
Mourning Dove (6)
Chimney Swift (4)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (1)
Belted Kingfisher (1)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (1)
White-eyed Vireo (13)
Blue Jay (7)
American Crow (1)
Barn Swallow (2)
Carolina Chickadee (3)
Tufted Titmouse (4)
Carolina Wren (7)
Northern Mockingbird (11)
Brown Thrasher (2)
Yellow Warbler (1)
Prairie Warbler (3)
Palm Warbler (5)
American Redstart (4)
Common Yellowthroat (9)
Eastern Towhee (1)
Seaside Sparrow (2)
Northern Cardinal (10)
Painted Bunting (3)
Red-winged Blackbird (2)
Boat-tailed Grackle (4)

(Jack, I had no miles or hours by car.  I had nine hours of walking and
covered 7-1/4 miles during that time.)

Good Birding!
Ritch Lilly
Myrtle Beach (Horry County), SC