Archie Elledge Bird Walk - August 9th - Trip Report

Over twenty-five birders came out this morning to the Archie Elledge
Water Treatment Plant in Winston-Salem for ASFC's Second Saturday
Birdwalk.  Variety of species and numbers of birds were somewhat
limited due to the lack of usual mudflats in the upper settling ponds.
Our recent rain (when hasn't it rained lately...) caused water levels
to be higher than normal.  Although the final count was only 37
species, the group made some very interesting observations.

The overgrown old ponds were abundant with Indigo Buntings and the
tree-line provided good views of a pair of American Kestrels (male and
female) and American Goldfinch.  At the first pond we were treated to
views of Least, Western, and Semipalmated Sandpipers that gave us an
opportunity to compare these species in relative proximity.  A
highlight for many was watching a Green Heron as it caught dragonflies
for a tasty snack.

A complete species list follows:

Green Heron
Canada Goose
Mallard
Accipiter (sp)
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher
Eastern Kingbird
Eastern Phoebe
Tree Swallow
Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Purple Martin
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee (heard)
Carolina Wren (heard)
Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
American Robin
Eastern Bluebird
European Starling
Common Grackle
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
American Goldfinch
Song Sparrow
and a Sig Senorita (40 size engine) flyover (Did I get it right,
Bert?) - escapee from Hobby Park

If I've left anything out, please feel free to post an addendum or
correction!
Thanks for a great morning of birding!

Liz
  ,,,