Lake Julian/Buncombe County

Folks,
        Late this afternoon I went up to Lake Julian hoping for a Black
Tern.  Dwayne had seen several on Lake Hickory this past week and on Sept.1
of 2001 I had 1 Black Tern on Hooper Lane, maybe I would get lucky!  Almost
immediately upon my arrival, I observed 1 Black Tern in Alternate plumage
opposite the park, flying on the other side of the lake over the RR tracks.
I was able to get the bird in my scope and I got decent, diagnostic views of
this species.  It is the first Black Tern I have ever seen at Lake Julian in
my 17 years in the mountains!
        At Jackson Park this AM I got my year Tennessee Warbler, that's
right, just one.  The park was flooded from last nights rain, and continues
to be very slow birding.
        This evening, I had about 30 Common Nighthawks feeding very low over
the Henderson County landfill!
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe