HBSP on 9-1-03

Hi Carolinabirders,
Today, I birded from 10:40AM until 2PM. It was a partly sunny day with
temps in the upper 80's gentle east winds and a short period of showers
just as I was leaving. I birded the north end and the beginning of
Sandpiper Trail near the Education Center.  The north beach area was as
crowded with people mostly sunbathers as I have ever seen.  Rather
disturbing were the personal watercraft south of the jetty.  Two even
set up on  the beach.  35 birds.
Brown Pelican-22
Double-Crested Cormorant-1
Great Blue Heron-3
Great Egret-2
Snowy Egret-3
Wood Stork-1
Osprey-4
Common Moorhen-1 heard only
Black-bellied Plover-32
Wilson's Plover-1
Semipalmated Plover-26
Am. Oystercatcher-10+
Willet-3
Whimbrel-1
Ruddy Turnstone-13
RED KNOT-1 just a hint of red on the underparts.
Sanderling-14
Short-billed Dowitcher-100+
Laughing Gull-13
Ring-billed Gull-2