From: "Tomm Lorenzin" <skytomm@1000plus.com>
To: "'gary'" <walela@sccoast.net>; "'Joshua S. Rose'" <jsr6@duke.edu>;
<carolinabirds@duke.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 9:17 PM
Subject: RE: hummer predator

I noticed something strange from a distance on one of my feeders late this
afternoon and watched a hummer do a missed approach and fly off, so I went
out to investigate.  A 4-inch Carolina Mantis (gray-brown) was perched in
prayer (no doubt for a light (2 gm) snack) atop the feeder next to one of
the ports.  He(she) looked kinda' small to be anticipating overpowering a
hummer, but who knows what he(she) may have been thinking.  After seeing the
photos last year of the Chinese Mantis (Mantis religiosa: green and much
larger see
http://www.1000plus.com/Hbirds/010922%20DSBG%20Praying%20Mantis%20.JPG) that
was mortally munching on a hummer clasped in its spiked forelegs, I
collected the predator onto my hand and I released him/her in the Camellias
where he/she could find more suitable prey.

My question is:  Did he/she know?  Had he/she landed on the feeder by
happenstance?  Hmmmmmmmm.....?  This is a first-ever such observation for
me.  Anyone else ever see Mantids lying in wait on hummer feeders?

Cheers! 7;^)
Tomm "watsizname" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC
skytomm(at)1000plus.com
It's a poor sort of memory
that only works backwards.  ~Lewis Carroll

  ...and spottily, at best. ~Tomm Lorenzin
Visit me at: http://www.1000plus.com/