HBSP on 9-12-03

Hi Carolinabirders,

Today, I went to HBSP and did some birding and butterflying because the
headboat trip out of Murrells Inlet was canceled due to high waves
offshore.  I covered the carriage path and old entrance road to the
"hollow" and then went to the jetty ponds via the path behind the dunes
and then came back by way of the beach.  It was a great birding day with
pleasant weather in the high 70's, mostly cloudy skies and northerly
winds.  It was definately a migrant day especially for songbirds and
hawks.  And I had some of both. 55 species.
Brown Pelican-25+
Double-Crested Cormorant-10
Great Blue Heron-3
Great Egret-11
Snowy Egret-3
Tricolored Heron-3
Green Heron-1
White Ibis-15
Glossy Ibis-1
Wood Stork-70
Red-breasted Merganser-2
Osprey-5
Bald Eagle-2 one adult migrant and 1 immature local bird
N. Harrier-3
Am. Kestrel-1
Semipalmated Plover-9
Willet-8
Ruddy Turnstone-6
Red Knot-10
Sanderling-32
Western Sandpiper-6
Short-billed Dowitcher-4
Laughing Gull-4
Ring-billed Gull-1
Caspian Tern-40
Royal Tern-6
Sandwich Tern-3
Black Tern-8 birds flying North up the beach
Black Skimmer-100 many juveniles
Mourning Dove-4
Common Ground-Dove-1
Chimney Swift-2
Red-bellied Woodpecker-2
Downy Woodpecker-1
Empidonex Flycatcher-1
Purple Martin-1
Tree Swallow-hundreds
Barn Swallow-20
Blue Jay-10
Carolina Chickadee-3 heard only
Tufted Titmouse-1
Carolina Wren-3
N. Mockingbird-1
Brown Thrasher-3
White-eyed Vireo-8
Red-eyed Vireo-3
Yellow-throated Warbler-1
Prairie Warbler-2 immatures
Palm Warbler-6 in red cedars in the dunes
Black and White Warbler-1 male
Am. Redstart-6
Hooded Warbler-1
Summer Tanager-1 female
N. Cardinal-4
Painted Bunting-1 male away from the education center
E. Towhee-2 heard only
Red-winged Blackbird-1 female
Boat-tailed Grackle-2

A real enjoyable day