RE: hummer predator

TOMM . . .

Although imported Chinese Mantids (Tenodera aridifolia sinensis) have been known to perch on or near hummingbird feeders and take an occasional hummingbird, I seriously doubt our native Carolina Mantid (Stagmomantis carolina) would be interested in anything like a hummingbird, which is as big as or bigger than it is.

In my experience, the 2"-3" Carolina Mantid is much more jittery; when I encounter them in the field they often jump or fly away or sometimes freeze, while the 4"-5" Chinese Mantid can be quite aggressive and tends to hold its ground. Imported European Mantids (Mantis religiosa)--at about 2"- or so--are also too small, I think, to take a hummer.

Best wishes,

BILL

============

I noticed something strange from a distance on one of my feeders late this
afternoon and watched a hummer do a missed approach and fly off, so I went
out to investigate.  A 4-inch Carolina Mantis (gray-brown) was perched in
prayer (no doubt for a light (2 gm) snack) atop the feeder next to one of
the ports.  He(she) looked kinda' small to be anticipating overpowering a
hummer, but who knows what he(she) may have been thinking.  After seeing the
photos last year of the Chinese Mantis (Mantis religiosa: green and much
larger see
http://www.1000plus.com/Hbirds/010922%20DSBG%20Praying%20Mantis%20.JPG) that
was mortally munching on a hummer clasped in its spiked forelegs, I
collected the predator onto my hand and I released him/her in the Camellias
where he/she could find more suitable prey.

My question is:  Did he/she know?  Had he/she landed on the feeder by
happenstance?  Hmmmmmmmm.....?  This is a first-ever such observation for
me.  Anyone else ever see Mantids lying in wait on hummer feeders?

Cheers! 7;^)
Tomm "watsizname" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC
skytomm(at)1000plus.com
It's a poor sort of memory
that only works backwards.  ~Lewis Carroll

...and spottily, at best. ~Tomm Lorenzin
Visit me at: http://www.1000plus.com/