Immature Goshawk on Ocracoke (fwd)

Hi C-birders,

Forwarding a rare bird sighting below. Wish I could chase, but it's not a
good time to be driving coastward!

Re: hurricane birding, I seem to recall hearing that most of the birders
who saw fantastic pelagic species on Falls and Jordan Lakes after Fran
were out-of-towners who drove in via interstate and US highways. Local
Triangle resident birders could not get to the lakes because all the local
roads were blocked by fallen trees, flooding, downed power lines, and
other wreckage. Something to remember for those of us who dream of
spotting a White-faced Storm-Petrel but didn't have time to get out to the
coast this summer...

Also worth remembering that as this Saturday is the fall NAMC, and the
Chatham County/Jordan Lake Fall Bird Count. Anyone with connections to the
state parks staff, please keep us all updated as to whether the lakeshore
recreation areas, etc. are going to be open!

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University