Indian Trail park Golden-winged

This morning Mike Skakuj and I checked out the Indian Trail park in
Durham to try to relocate the Golden-winged Warblers that have taken up
residence in the area.  Sure enough, an immature female was foraging in
the trees near where Ellerbe Creek crosses Albany Ave.  My first
migrant Golden-winged since 1996.  The Golden-winged was by itself, not
keeping company with other warblers. Further east along the trail, at
the bridge, there was a nice Blue-winged Warbler.  A two -winged
morning!  We found no other unusual warblers - lots of Magnolias and
Redstarts.  Black-throated Blues seem to be very scarce around here
this fall.  The only other migrant was a Baltimore Oriole.

Another treat was seeing a Zebra Longwing butterfly patrolling the
creek.  Likely not wild (the NC Museum of Life and Science butterfly
house is only a couple of miles away), but still a nice sight.  Also
saw a number of wild-looking Silver Maples, a species that hasn't been
documented in the county before.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu