Edisto Beach St. Pk. - 20 Warbler morning

This morning I birded the network of trails leading to the Native American shell mound at Edisto Beach State Park.  The migrant action was fabulous.  20 Warbler species (one flock had hundreds of individuals), 3 Thrush species, 4 Vireo Species, Scarlet Tanager and a very close encounter with Wild Turkeys.

A lot of birds were singing.  There were vines full of ripe grapes all over the place; Thrushes were chasing each other, scolding and singing as they tried to stake out patches of grape.  It seems like every third Titmouse and Cardinal had a grape in its mouth.  Every Chickadee/Titmouse flock I encountered had a bunch of attendant Warblers.  I guess the northerly winds the past couple of nights brought in some new birds.

The maritime forest leading to the shell mound is a treat to experience.  You have to work really hard to spot an invader plant species (there is a privet bush or two near the parking lot).  This place has the highest concentration of Pileated Woodpeckers I have ever encountered.

Here's a partial species list:
Pileated, Hairy, Downy and RB Woodpeckers
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
E. Wood-Pewee
Adacian Flycatcher
UFO Empid (2)
Great Crested Flycatcher
White-eyed Vireo
PHILADELPHIA VIREO
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Swainson's Thrush
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Veery
Gray Catbird
N. Parula
Prothonotary Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Am. Redstart (hundreds)
Prairie Warbler (hundreds)
Yellow Warbler (dozens)
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER
Pine Wabler
CANADA WARBLER (stunning male)
Hooded Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler
Ovenbird (7 or 8)
N. Waterthrush
Common Yellowthroat
YB Chat
Summer Tanager
Scarlet Tanager

I had to tear myself away for lunch with family at Edisto Beach.  It wasn't a total loss - I added a Palm Warbler to the day list in the neighbor's yard / public right-of-way.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC