Re: CHBC BRP trip

To add to Steve Shultz's report of last weekend's Chapel Hill Bird Club
Blue Ridge Parkway trip, one big surprise was the lack of Bay-breasted
Warblers.  We only had about 2 the whole weekend, whereas normally in
late September they're about tied with Tennessee Warbler for the most
common bird of any kind.  Tennessees were passing through in force as
usual, though -- we had well over a hundred.  Thrushes were also much
scarcer than usual - saw only a few Swainson's, and heard several more
(fall peepers), plus heard one Wood and two Gray-cheeked Thrushes.
Also conspicuously absent were migrant Monarch butterflies -- I saw
only 2 this time instead of the usual dozens.  On the slightly early
side, we had 1 Brown Creeper.  It was a fun weekend of birding - we'll
probably do it again next year but visit some different spots, perhaps
the New River valley.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu