Alder Flycatcher - Charleston, SC

Yesterday afternoon my mother found an Empidonax Flycatcher in her yard.  After I spent awhile checking it out with binoculars and scope from 25-30 yards, I became convinced it was a Traill's Flycatcher (Willow/Alder).  I'll leave the physical details that convinced me for the sight report.

I took some video and watched it catch (skipper) butterflies and moths for 45 minutes or so.  Windy conditions, passing cars and other disturbances (Jay flocks, helicopters, etc.) complicated taping the bird, but I managed to get some decent footage.

Then after some soul-searching, I decided to play tapes of singing and calling Willow and Alder Flycatchers.  The bird showed interest in both, but it was much more excited/responsive when I played the Alder Flycatcher song and calls.  It swooped by me and perched in nearby trees and flicked its tail (upwards).  It also called a lot.  The call sounded like that of an Alder Flycatcher.  The call was the softer "pip" of an Alder, not the harsher raspy "wheat" of a Willow.

I got audio/video Hi-8mm tape of the bird calling and I have duped copies onto VHS for several experts to evaluate.  Everyone who has watched and listened to the tape so far (and compared it to recordings of Alder/Willow) has concurred with the Alder verdict.  I am very familiar with Willow Flycatcher vocalizations from the west coast, the Landrum, SC birds and others; this bird didn't sound like that.

I hastily tried phoning a couple of local birders to come see the bird; Burton Moore managed to ditch work and come observe it.  My apologies to those I did not call - I was engrossed in trying to record the bird, plus I was afraid it would leave at any minute.  We lost track of it around the time when folks get off work, so I decided not to get other folks' hopes up and then dash them with a no-show bird.

If any experts disagree with the diagnosis thus far, I will let the list know what the official verdict is.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC