Sabine's Gull "Pelagic Trip" and Pics

Our Lake Hickory ?pelagic trip? was a great success!  Seven of us (David Keener?boat owner, Olivia Griffin, Ted Van Horn, Beverly Lawson, Simon Thompson, and Wayne Forsythe and myself) got great views of the gull.  At one point, we were within 15 feet of the gull!  It swam just ahead of us. It took flight right in front of us, giving us fabulous views of the pattern on it?s back.  It was in a different spot than normal.  From the boat access, it was to the right up the lake.  We almost didn?t find it.  We searched for 30+ minutes.  I have replaced the pictures I took the other day with the ones I got today, which are MUCH better.  You can view them here:  http://www.geocities.com/foothillsbirdclub/sabines_gull.html  There is also a picture of the pelagic goers.  We had a wonderful time.  Thanks David!!  I have been asked to repost the directions to the access so here they are:

Take I-40 to exit 131(Hwy. 16).  Go north on Hwy 16 about 8 miles to the Catawba River Bridge.  Take the first road on the left past the bridge, which is Wayside Ch. Rd.  Go to the stop sign and turn right.  Go about 1/2 mile and turn left onto Rink Dam Rd.  Go about 2 miles and turn left onto Polly Bowman Rd.  Go about 1/4 mile and turn right onto Deal Farm Rd. and the entrance to the access is about a 1/10 of a mile on the right.

Dwayne
Dwayne Martin
Foothills Bird Club
Taylorsville,NC