Big Sit Results -- Columbia, SC

1. Contact Person's Name: Robin Carter
2. Full Mailing Address: 4165 East Buchanan Drive, Columbia, SC 29206
3. Telephone and email: 803-782-8820; rcarter@sc.rr.com
4. Big Sit location: obesrvation deck at Granby Park, Columbia, Richland
Co., SC
5. Names of Participants: Robin Carter, Caroline Eastman
6. Team Name: (none)
7. Weather conditions: cool and foggy AM, sunny and warm PM; 62 - 79 F.
8. Time spent at location: 8 hours between 6:45 AM and 6:45 PM EDT
9. Name of organization: Columbia Audubon Society
10. Notes: This year we returned to our old Big Sit spot in Granby Park on
the Congaree River near downtown Columbia since we had obligations in town
and it was not feasible to go out to the hawk watch site at Congaree Bluffs.
The birding was rather slow. It seemed to be a bit early for winter birds
(though we did have Eastern Phoebe and Cedar Waxwing). There were a few
neotrpical migrants around, including two warbler species, Scarlet Tanager,
and Rose-breasted Grosbeak. The most impressive birds were the thrushes.
There was a good dawn flight of Swainson's, Gray-cheeked and Wood Thrushes,
and we heard all three of these species during the day as well. We had a
total of 46 species, not bad for this location.
11. Photo: (none)
12. Complete Checklist:
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron