99 Species at HBSP

Hey Carolina Birders,

I couldn't resist getting out on such a beautiful day to do some birding at
Huntington Beach State Park in Georgetown County, South Carolina.  I arrived
shortly before 10:00 am and stayed the remainder of the day.  Several
species were seen that were season firsts for me.  They included Winter
Wren, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Hermit Thrush, Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow,
Song Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow and Dark-eyed Junco.

Nothing extremely unusual was spotted.  The best bird was possibly an
American Avocet that I understand has been seen off and on for a week or two
there now.  (Thanks for the heads-up Phil.)  The bird appears to be hanging
around across the pond from the causeway observation platform (on the
freshwater side) at high tide and then moving over to forage in and around
the saltmarsh at low tide.  The bird was seen at 10:20 this morning on the
edge of Mullet Pond and again at 4:50 pm adjacent to the saltmarsh boardwalk
just behind the nature center.

A total of 99 species were eventually found.  Surely I must be forgetting at
least one other bird! ;-)  Maybe not.  The complete list was as follows...

Pied-billed Grebe
Brown Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron