hummers, butterflies, et al in Conway, SC

hello ya'll,

spent this lovely October day 'round the confines here piddlin' with plants
and scopin' the neighborhood bird scene. a cpl of Y-b sapsuckers embroiled
in a dispute over drilling rights to a red maple, first Ruby-crowned Kinglet
chattering thru the shrubbery here this fall, a "Yellowstart," cpl of
Yellow-rumped, an imm. Red-tail terrorizing the local Rock Pigeon contingent
(now you know partly why i tolerate the pigeons; in fall they do attract a
number of hawks to the yard here; plus, they're amazing flyers,) a pair of
Fish Crow flyovers, a few Tree swallows, cpl of gulls way up high, cpl of
flickers announcing their presence in the 'hood again, all the "locals,"
including 22 cardinals cavorting in the front yard at sunset, and at least
two imm. Ruby-throateds who seem quite happy with their own sections of the
yard.

a Great Horned Owl has been hootin' nightly for the past week or so.

at about 11:30 this morn a thunderous herd of butterflies descended on the
flowers and encouraged me to plant even more next year. a Cabbage White,
Cloudless Sulphur (50+,) Orange Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, a Great Purple
Hairstreak ('scuze me while i kiss the sky,) Red-spotted Purple, Carolina
Satyr, Silver-spotted, Long-tailed (12 at one point on the blooms of just
one plant,) Clouded, Whirlabout, and Ocola skippers, and one perfect
Monarch.

also a solo Blue Dasher.

ain't it good to be alive, y'all?

;-)

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)