Selasphorus Hummer in Myrtle Beach

Hey Carolina Birders,

After having found few birds that could be considered noteworthy here in the
area today, I returned home to find a visitor gulping down sugar water from
the hummingbird feeder.  This was the first hummingbird I'd had at the house
in close to three weeks.  A closer look revealed orange flanks and perhaps a
dozen reflective gorget feathers.  The orange coloration was also evident at
the base of the tail.  The reflective gorget feathers formed a central spot
that I now see could be indicative of either an adult female Rufous or an
adult female Allen's.  Although my guides don't depict an immature male of
either species, I'm assuming either of those could be possible as well.
Although I'd originally thought the bird was probably an immature male
Rufous, I'm starting to think its perhaps an adult female Rufous instead.

I didn't see the bird until around 5:30 this evening and it last fed at
about 6:40.  Hopefully it will show again in the morning and hang around
long enough for Mr. Phillips to come snag this character and determine
exactly what we've had the opportunity to observe.

Although it can sometimes get a little old going for weeks and even months
without seeing a hummer during the "winter" months, it is definitely worth
the trouble of having kept a feeder cleaned and filled when one of these
western birds shows up.

Woohoo! (and Good Birding),
Ritch Lilly
Myrtle Beach (Horry County), SC