White-crowned Sparrows

Went out again today, this time in the rain, with Bob O and later Wayne F.
Saw the same sparrows as yesterday in good numbers everywhere I went.  It
looks like this might be a good White-crowned Sparrow winter.  Numbers were
down the last couple of winters and the majority of the birds were adults
then.  This year it looks like the majority of birds are first winter and
numbers are up again.  I'm guessing that wherever these birds come from they
must have had a good breeding year.  I'd say a conservative estimate of
White-crowned I saw this morning would be about 50.
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute
University of North Carolina-Asheville