Database Concentration & Data Mining Day 1

Please read these articles/essays:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/99/1129/6413182a.htm

http://mitglied.tripod.de/paulsen/orwell1984in2004.html

http://metalab.unc.edu/pjones/ils310-74/talk/msg00072.html

http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_06/b3667023.htm

to prepare for our discussion.

We've also got oodles of links on our presentation web page (which is
still under construction at the moment) and once it's done we'll send out
the URL so everyone can look through that as well.

Just to let everyone know, this is how we envision the general
structure/flow of our presentation:

2/24 Day 1 we'll present all the good and mostly bad things that can and
do happen regarding database concentration and data mining. We'll also
discuss if we've created our own version of 1984 in 2000. Is it our
fault? Does the general public not realize what's going on? Why are we
gathering so much data if we're not making a commitment to secure and
maintain it? You get the idea.

2/29 Day 2 we'll move into the "well, what can we do about
this?" phase. We'll examine and discuss possible solutions to control the
situation. Who should try and regulate/police how these databases are
secured/maintained? The government or the private sector? Is it too
late? Do we ever need legislation or other means of enforcing 'fair'
database concentration and data mining practices at all?

Thanks!

Robyn & Hannah