Re: Technology Critic Takes On Computers in Schools

what stoll is missing is that computer skills are not the only thing being
taught using the computers in schools. i see this in my son's first grade
class. he's learning math, visual skills, research skills etc but he is
also using the computer to learn about things not in his school
library--more about cheetahs for example. stoll whose vision of computing
stops with the VAX and who has never used a computer to say listen to a
poet read her work, visit a cheetah preserve, writing with a student in
korea etc cannot get beyond the computer as computer. the computer has
long since become only a portal to information services; the access to
many of such services is transparent. we need not have long classes on
word processing, spread sheets etc. we can get down to bidnez.

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071