[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why it's set at 55 m.p.h...

thonhazz@clark.net (Jonathan Hazzard) writes:

>Matthew Russotto (russotto@wanda.pond.com) wrote:

>   There was a LONG thread about this a few months back.  Basically,
>ideal gas mileage depends on the particular car one is driving.  I
>guarantee you that you will get better mileage at 55 than at 65 and
>~~~~~~~~~
>         ~~~~     Jonathan

That is true for STEADY speeds.  The problem is that if you try to stay
at a steady 55, you probably will do much more accelerating and decelerating
than at a constant 'road speed', which on the beltway is about 65.

When I drive distances at a steady 65 my mileage averages about 35mpg.
But when I travel in slower average speeds, my mileage drops to 28 or so.

Be safe out there,

JeffP