[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Comments from Mr. Traffic

Ok, I promised myself I'd stay out, but I can't. This is really
starting to piss me off.

KENNY MORSE (kennystar@megaweb.com) wrote:
: >Christopher Reeve broke his neck *falling off a horse*.  What the blazes doe
: >this have to do with driving?  Sheesh.

: Because most people who end up like Christopher Reeve got that way
: via people's mistakes behind the wheel.  Didn't get it...did ya?

But by your precise example there are many other ways to end up like
Christopher Reeve (precisely like he did). He did not have an auto
accident. Why don't you use an appropriate example.

LIFE IS DANGEROUS! we can't just pretend that if we never break the
law and always eat our wheaties that we'll live forever. Many people
are injured or die from other causes. Maybe we should outlaw horseback
riding, or how about old age?

: Ever hear of SLAVERY?  The tyranny of the majority? Just because
: everybody doesn't like a law doesn't mean it should be dumped!  Before
: you start turning blue...remember...I am FOR raising the speed limit from
: 55!

Just because everyone likes a law doesn't mean it should be
kept. Remember the rights of the individual?
We need a compromise. I think instituting a tighter licensing program
is a *must*. I have been advocating that for years.
Since it is doubtful that this will happen across the board, how about
a second level of licenses. Take a month long class, pay $$$ and
really learn how to drive, and in exchange you get more priviledges on
the road (like the left lane or two...)?

Please, I haven't yet found a solution, I'm just throwing out
ideas. If you're going to flame me, SUGGEST something else. Don't just
attack the details.

I just think people need to realize that life is *not* safe.
YOU WILL DIE. I WILL DIE. can you say that (and mean it)? most people
can't. If I die in a car accident tonight, so be it. But in trying
to make life idiot proof, there is very little room left for people to
live. not just in driving, but in all aspects of this country of 30
times more lawyers than *any* other country.
Olivier
--
Olivier Chaine      olivier@gordian.com       714.850.0205/fax 714.850.0533

Follow-Ups: References: