[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: driver's ed. is a joke

In <3ubgjo$ko0@wanda.pond.com> russotto@wanda.pond.com writes:

>In article <3u9mgf$11u@ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>,
>J. Hale  <lily1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>}How can we even think of raising the speed limits to a reasonable
level
>}with the current lack of skill displayed by most drivers on the road
>}today?
>
>Let Darwin handle the driver training.  It works for getting high
>school football players with Mustangs and Camaros out of the gene
>pool.  Besides, the speed limits aren't slowing people down NOW.
>
>} It seems to me that the whole driver's training system needs to
>}be revamped and all who are currently licensed need to be recertified
>}under more strict regulations before any other changes to driving
laws.
>} It's just too damned easy to get a license in this country.
Opinions?
>} Comments?
>
>Sorry, this is the United States of America.  The driver's license is
>a right which ranks up there with dial tone and cable TV.  You'll get
>my driver's license when you pry it from the hot, smoking, wreck of my
car.

>Seriously, I don't think changing the driver training system will get
>you much:  most of driving is learned through actual experience on the
>roads, with other drivers, and can't be learned any other way, at
>least at present.

Bulls__t! Most if not all car clubs offer some level of advanced driver
training, usually on a track. The PCA offers such training for Porsche
owners all over the country, as do BMW and Mercedes. Private high
performance driving clubs such as "Car Guy's" train you in whatever you
bring to the track. And there are many schools, such a Bob Bondurant's,
that will train you and provide you with a properly prepared car to
learn in.

Drivers training, as seen in most high schools, is better described as
automobile operation and parking techniques, not driver's ed.

The other problem, as I see it, is that most Americans believe that the
epitome of driving in ths country is demonstrated weekly by NASCAR 9or
INDY), it's not. Watch a European Grand Prix and tell me which
demonstrates a higher level of proficiency.

John (Targa)