[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: driver's ed. is a joke

In article <3ugfo0$r8l@ceylon.gte.com>
Jeff Witzer <muthiah@sunflash.eng.usf.edu> writes:

> video@3DRESEARCH.nauticom.net (jd) wrote:
[...]
> > Today, speeding fines and fines for other traffic infractions go into
> > state and local coffers. What if laws were changed that these dollars
> > would be returned to the cited drivers in the form of vouchers good to
> > professional driving schools (such as the ones that advertise in
> > Autoweek)?
>
> Cool!  I've always wanted to attend another class but couldn't afford
> it.  Now all I have to do is get caught speeding a few times and voila!
> Free class!! ;->
>
> Seriously, since most people are motivated by money instead of morals
> or intelligence, why not mandate insurance discounts for professional,
> accredited driving school graduates?  Since these people would,
> hopefully, be better drivers anyway, why not recognize them as lower
> risks than others who drive the same type of vehicle?
>
> > Janos Dohanics
> > National Motorists Association
> > Pennsylvania State Chapter Coordinator
>
> Jeff Witzer (using a friend's account)
> 1993 Mazda RX-7, Competition Yellow Mica / Pettit Turn Key Terror

I'm qiute sure that people coming out of professional driving schools
are better drivers (what are they paying for then?) and most likely
they are lower risks. But I bet insurance companies don't see it that
way.

I don't know if lawmakers would be receptive to such a logical
argument. This is probably not politically correct.

On the other hand, I was wondering, how good an indicator is a speeding
ticket of propensity to cause accident? Since this is the argument for
raising your rates.

Janos Dohanics
National Motorists Association
Pennsylvania State Chapter Coordinator