[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: NMA STUDY

In article <3vh3or$ge7@bug.rahul.net>, Rahul Dhesi  <dhesi@rahul.net> wrote:
>I have a hypothesis that I would like to see investigated.  My driving
>experience in California is in the SF Bay Area only.  The hypothesis
>is:
>
>     Speeding tickets on highways are given for these behaviors:
>     tailgating, rapid lane changing, and going much faster than the
>     flow of traffic.
>
>Note that speed of motorist relative to speed limit doesn't occur in
>the list above.  As a very alert motorist, I always watch police cars
>and see whom they stop -- and I have never seen anybody being stopped
>for merely driving at a high speed.  I occasionally ride as a passenger
>with people who complain about having received a speeding tickets when
>'everybody else was going just as fast', and invariably their driving
>style includes the behaviors I listed above.  (Note:  On city streets

Excellent point. A caveat, though, that a cop may also give you a ticket
for speeding on a highway if you're exceeding the speed limit in the
absence of any other traffic to compare you to. Personally, I speed
frequently but am always careful not to tailgate or do anything else
that would be dangerous. I've only been driving for 5 years, but I've
never received a ticket. I've been stopped by cops twice, but both
times it was for things I was doing at 30 mph or less. I've also
been passed by cops while I was doing 80. I think California cops
do a pretty good job, with notable exceptions, of not targeting people
merely for exceeding the speed limit.

--
Adam Villani
addam@cco.caltech.edu