[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Speed limits v actual spd

Well, I'm going to stop the bickering and ditch the obligatory ad hominem
attack, having vented that earlier.

But the point remains is this:  In my experience (as someone who logs 40-50K
miles a year on the road), the interstate freeways have ALWAYS been averaging
75-90.

Just as a case in point, a personal anecdote:  New York's speed limit is 55.
Everywhere.  They don't have reasonable laws about rural freeways. Life sucks,
but so does New York.  Traffic during commute times on the LIE are about
comparable to those here in the Bay Area, in similar conditions (the LIE
equates surprisingly nicely to 101 through Silicon Valley).  And speeds on the
Thruway are, on average, about the same as those on I-5.

There are two classes of people who change their speeds when the speed limits
change:

(a)  Those who are law abiding or are very scared of getting pulled over for
some reason.  This include people with lapsed registrations, no unsurance, a
record, etc., etc.  Also people like my father, who follow the speed limits
because they're the law, even though he admits that they are set too low on
many of these roads.

(b)  Newer drivers, who are confident enough that they can push the limit, but
not confident enough to drive by "feel" rather than by the speedometer.  I can
see these kinds of people, who move at speeds that don't equate well with the
flow of traffic, who put on their brakes at speed limit changes, etc.  They
also tend to be ultra-paranoid about police as well, but because they know
they're doing something wrong.

Experienced drivers drive based upon road conditions and the flow of traffic.
Speed limits should not be absolutes, but more guidelines.  Like those numbers
they post for turns (that are normally 10-20 mph lower than actually
necessary).  This way you have something general for traffic, and let the
conditions dictate to those who know how to drive. The way it should be.

-Corey