[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Speed limits v actual spd

John wrote:
>The numbers don't support you.  I don't even think the CHP would promote
>that view.

You're quite wrong.  Not only do the numbers support that, but all
you have to do is look at TWO things....the people in my classes
who get caught, and your eyes when on these roads.

You, like others, are extrapolating an attitude that because "I don't
do this for these reasons".......I wish more people were like you,
but they justa ain't.  When I get numbers, they USUALLY
come from the CHP for Freeway stats!
>Tell me, how fast do you drive on the street in front of your house?  Would
>you drive 10 mph faster if the speed limit were raised 10 mph?  I know I
>wouldn't, because the speed I drive is based on my perception of what's
>safe.

Here again...YOU wouldn't.  Most would.  Hey...are you kidding?
People drive 35-40 in a residential neighborhood or school zone,
with children present.  What's safe about THAT???  John....
not YOU......THEM!

>When it comes to freeways, I'd bet that any road with an 85th-percentile
>speed of 80 mph now had an 85th-percentile speed of 80 mph when it was
>posted at 55.  Besides, we're arguing the wrong point - on the freeway at
>least, who cares how fast people are driving?  The real issue is whether
>they are hitting things more often if they do drive faster.
>
>Nope.....no 85% at 80mph on 55 roads.....65 yes!!!  Interestingly
enough, the incidence of people hitting things in the 65 zones in
California is NOT very high.  You can attribute this to many things
but one of the biggest factors is the sparcity of flow of traffic.

If you took the speed limit signs down - completely did away with posted
>speed limits over 75% of the freeway system - then put up speed limits where
>necessary based on real safety requirements, I'd bet you'd have at least 65%
>compliance - which is 100% more than you've got now.

We disagree.  I know what the studies show.  I believe NOT based on
a study by ANYONE.....government or otherwise, when I can believe
my eyes.

>55 has given us a Chicken Little syndrome - we (well, some of us already
>knew it) have discovered that the sky does NOT fall when they hit 60, or 65,
>or even 85 in some places, so why should we pay attention to the limits at
>all?

Simple......1: It's the law.
                 2: If you don't like the law...change it...or break it & pay!
                 3: Since WAY too many people are doing stupid things like
tailgaiting, weaving lanes, DUI.....they drive with no license...they drive with
no insurance.....I could go on.......until we have laws or education that stop
people from these behaviors, until then, speed IS a factor!!  I wish it was
otherwise.

You know....many people who post here probably have NEVER been in an
injury crash, cause if they had, they probably would feel that the consequences
of operating a moving bullet....a motor vehicle, NEEDS the strictest of
regulations.  When I observe on a daily basis, the stupid things that
Californian's are doing on the road, and the consequence of those actions
on themselves, and sadly, others....it makes me VERY cautious.  Most
people who end up like Christopher Reeve, get there because someone
made a mistake BEHIND THE WHEEL.  A life sentence.

Kenny Morse
"Mr. Traffic"

>John.

Follow-Ups: References: