[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The REAL REASON PEOPLE SPEED!

In article <3vso0f$7l6@news-e1a.megaweb.com>
                      kennystar@megaweb.com (KENNY MORSE) writes:

>                               People WILL speed no matter
>what the speed limit (as the study suggested), but the reasons
>are what I address.

The premise that people will exceed always speed limits is demonstrably
incorrect by taking the matter to the extreme.  If the premise was
correct, and the speed limit was 1000 MPH, then we would expect some
significant portion of drivers to drive 1010 MPH, but I don't believe
that this would happen.

I believe that the reason people exceed posted speed limits is not
because they enjoy breaking the law, which is implied in the premise
that they will always exceed posted limits.  Instead, I believe that
they exceed posted speed limits because they find the balance of risks
and benefits to be satisfactory at speeds greater than the inappropriately
low limits that have been set.

I also believe that there is danger in setting low speed limits on roads
that were designed for and can reasonably support higher speeds.  Part of
the balance of risks and benefits is that one will, when allowed to freely
choose one's speed, choose a speed that is high enough that it provides
sufficient stimulation that one maintains concentration on the road.  In
other words, there is danger in forcing people to drive slower than they
otherwise would, and that danger is that their attention will wander.  A
common response to this is that it neglects those whose driving skills and
reaction times are insufficient.  My answer to this is that we need to
finally begin a meaningful program of training and testing to ensure that
those licensed to drive are actually qualified to do so, as well as an
enforcement policy intended to enhance safety rather than generate revenue.

Of course, these ideas are political hot potatos, and will never be
implemented as long as we continue to elect "leaders" and "representatives"
who are more interested in removing personal liberties and keeping their
jobs than in legislating sensible laws that actually address the problems
they intend to solve.

Please note that I am posting this just prior to beginning a vacation
trip, and will not be available to respond to comments this article may
generate for the next 10 days.

            Michael Kesti               | "And like, one and one don't make
         Grass Valley Group             |  two, one and one make one."
       mrk@gvgdsd.GVG.TEK.COM           |         - The Who, Bargain