[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solve speeding by limiting cars!

In article, esmith@oacis.com (Eric Smith) writes:
|> And even more so, our local Georgia State Patrol (arguably the most snot-nosed
|> and piss-ridden State Patrol in these 50 states) has instigated a local
|> operation, dubbed "Hard Nose", which has no other task than to set up
|> concentrated speed traps trying to nab speeders.  Their Chief (whatever his
|> title is) was recently asked if he thought the limits should be raised.  His
|> answer?  "Absolutely not.  We're having a hard enough time enforcing the
|> current limit".  NOW WHAT KIND OF LOGIC IS THAT?

This is an interesting response to the same problem here in Arizona.  But Arizona,
went the other way since they noticed in was too much of a hassle to enforce the
lower limits (and the speed differential was also pretty high!).  So some years
back they changed the state law to make speeding above 55, but less than 65 a
"petty offense" for wasting a natural resouce and only instituted a fine with
no points or record of it (like a parking ticket).  Then they just changed the
interstate road speed limits to 65.

Since then the interstates are much more civilized and you didn't see as many
gross speeders or slow drivers either.

BTW, I experienced an interesting example of the problem this week when I
blew a CV boot and sprayed grease onto my exhaust.  The car smoked like crazy
and I had to drop to around 50 mph on the freeway to keep more grease from
being flung out by centrifugal force.  At 50 in the far right lane I was
under constant fear of getting run over and the cars shooting by at 65 was
somewhat frightening.   Boy, did I long for the ability to match my speed
to everybody else!  This idea of driving at the speed limit, even if
the traffic is going faster, is nonsense -- and I can see why the people who
do it are frightened by "fast" drivers.  If they would only drive with the
flow they would be less intimidated.

Mark