You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Feb 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00061 Feb 2005

Dear Devotee :

I forget to address two questions in your note :

> If necessary, I will transcribe the section as I plan to do it anyway,
> but I understand that there are several references about this concept
> indicating that this parama-purusArtha is:
>
> - a type of mukti
> - type of mukti known as BhAgavad-kaiGkarya
> - references to it from NammALvAr and PiLLAN.

Mukti or Moksham includes permanent residence in
the Lord's Supreme abode (Sri Vaikuntam ) and  serving Him there to
the heart's content with blemish free kaimkaryam ( service)
and enjoying that bliss on a par with the Lord . There is no
return to this samsAric world again . All the liberated souls
enjoy equal measure of that bliss of kiamakryam . There are no
gradations in the bliss that is enjoyed . Swamy NammAzhwAr
performed SaraNAgathi/Prapatthi and attained Sri Vaikuntam
to serve the Lord and stay with Him . PiLLAn is a disciple of
AchArya RaamAnuja and wrote a commentary for Swamy
NammAzhwAr's sacred work in Tamil and commented on
this Parama PurushArTam of SaraNAgathy .

> What I would like to know is if this parama-purusArtha counts as a
> purusArtha APART from the above-outlined four, and thus counts as a
> separate purusArtha as such. A fifth purusArtha, if you will?

The Parama PurushArTam of Moksham is not outside the 4 listed
as PurushArTams although a particular darsanam ( theistic
philosophy ) callas Bhakthi as the fifth PurushArTam . Sri VaishNavaas
folowing VisishtAdhvaitha darsanam agree on four PurushArtams.

Srimath Bhagavath Gita is the best resource to understand
these concepts about PurushArTams.

V.Sadagopan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/XUWolB/TM